Savings bonds and notes

Savings bonds or notes that are lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed may be replaced free of charge as long as the Bureau of Public Debt can establish that they have not been cashed. To assure that the bonds can be traced, owners should keep records of bond serial numbers, issue dates, registration, and Social Security or taxpayers identification numbers in a safe place separate from the bonds.

To get your bond replaced, request Form PDF-1048 (Claim for Lost, Stolen, or Destroyed United States Savings Bonds) from a local bank or download it from You’ll need to fill in the approximate issue date along with complete names, addresses, the Social Security number that appeared on the bond, and the bond serial number. If you don’t know the serial number, write “unknown” in the space provided. The completed application should be signed by the owner(s) and others named in the missing bonds’ registrations, notarized, and sent to:

Bureau of the Public Debt
Office of Investor Services
Parkersburg, WV 26106-1328
Telephone: 304-480-6112
Fax: 304-480-6010

If the bond owner is a minor, the form should be signed by both parents, and the minor’s age and Social Security number should be included. Replacement bonds will bear the date of original issue.

Return to List