There are several good reasons for having a bank checking account:
- A checking account can help you manage your money and keep it safe.
- You don’t have to carry large amounts of cash around.
- Most businesses accept checks if you have a state ID or driver’s license.
- You can usually acquire a debit card, which can be used like a credit card for buying things online or making online payments, paying at the pump for gas, etc.
- Canceled checks are proof that you paid a bill.
- Money in your bank account is safe from fire, loss, or theft.
- Checking accounts at most banks are insured by the federal government (FDIC) up to specified dollar amounts.
Bank accounts can cost money to maintain, but you can shop around for the best account features for your situation. A bank account is generally much cheaper than using check-cashing companies and money orders.
We’re collecting feedback on FAQs. Please complete this quick survey to help with our continual improvements.