How do I go about replacing an adoption decree? I just turned 18 and need to apply for citizenship, and apparently my adoption decree is missing.

The lesson titled “Legally Secure Your Financial Future” has a section on replacing important papers. The entire lesson is found at

The section you are interested in is found at

In your state:

To replace marriage licenses and marriage dissolution or adoption decrees, contact the main office of the county government in which the license was obtained, the marriage occurred, or the dissolution or adoption was filed, and ask where these records are kept. If you’re not sure which county issued the original document, contact the office in your state where these records are kept. This is typically the Bureau of Vital Statistics in the Department of Health.

There will be a charge for replacing these records, usually due at the time of the request. You will likely be asked to provide the name(s) that are on the record, date of the event, and location of the event (city or county).

You may also be able to request replacements electronically via

Out of state:

If the marriage, dissolution, or adoption occurred outside your state, contact the district court of the county in which the event took place or the state’s Bureau of Vital Statistics. Alternatively, visit

e would like your feedback on this Personal Finance Frequently Asked Question.