Doing Things Together as a Family
Take advantage of local public resources:
• Spend time together at the park or local community festival.
• Go for hikes or bike rides.
• Go for a family picnic.
• Go swimming at the local pool, lake, ocean, or
• Take advantage of free programs offered by
the library, museums, and community bands
or orchestras, or other free community events.
• Check out books, music, and videos for free
from the library.
Find cheaper entertainment at home:
• Have a family game night.
• Rent or borrow movies, pop some popcorn,
and have a family movie night at home.
• Bake or cook together as a family.
• Read stories to one another.
• Go on evening walks together.
Help your children learn new skills and ideas:
• Teach children how to garden.
• Teach children craft skills you enjoy and
spend time doing these together.
• Teach children about issues that are
important, such as politics, news, the
environment, or others. Are there opportunitites in the community to volunteer as a family for a cause you all believe in?