Grocery shopping can be a real challenge,
especially if you are on a limited budget. However,
food is a flexible budget expense which can be
reduced when money is tight. By planning ahead
and managing your money wisely, you can still serve
meals which are appetizing, easily prepared, and
Food Shopping Starts at Home
Most of us can change our food spending habits in
ways that make each food dollar go further and still
improve nutrition. Before dashing …
Sometimes unforeseen events in life challenge us. Regardless of the reason, you need to take charge during these challenging times.
SIZING UP YOUR FINANCIAL SITUATION
Sometimes unforeseen events in life challenge us. They may include unemployment, downsizing, a disability, natural disasters, divorce, or widowhood. Regardless of the reason, you need to take charge during these challenging times. When faced with reduced income or increased expenses, you need to develop a spending plan to help pay your bills. If your income …
When your family income drops suddenly or
expenses unexpectedly increase, your first concern
may be how to pay your bills and meet your day-today
expenses. It is also important to look at your
total financial picture and determine which assets
you might use to meet family obligations.
Determining Your Net Worth
A net worth statement is a financial balance sheet.
It is a calculation of your assets (what you own)
minus your liabilities (what you owe). Preparing a
Sources of Stress
- Prices rise but your income stays the same
- Cut‐backs, layoffs, or other restructuring creates job instability
- You feel frustration with family members’ spending or debt
- You have medical, automobile or household expenses that pile up
- An unexpected event or crisis creates money problems for the family (illness, death, divorce, etc.)
Take Care of Your Body
Try to eat a healthy and balanced diet.
Take time for an enjoyable physical activity to relieve stress.
Get enough sleep. We …
Debt management involves developing one or more strategies to help a debtor get that debt under control.
Should you shop for a lower interest rate on your debt?
• This can be a good option, if it substantially reduces your monthly payments and the refinancing is not too costly. Inquire whether other higher cost debts can be rolled into the lower cost loan.
What if you can’t pay your bills
• Prioritize your debt. Keeping a roof over your head …
When the money gets tight, it is important to know what resources you have. Resources can be described as assets (time, money, energy), materials, or capital (other funds) which can be used to accomplish your goal.
What are your financial resources?
• Make a list of all of your assets, or everything that you own.
• Distinguish between financial assets (bank accounts, investments, retirement accounts, etc.) and physical assets such as cars, home, or personal possessions.
• Which financial assets …
Utility Budget Plans
You can work with your service provider so that your monthly bill is based on an average of the previous year’s monthly bills. This is usually called “level billing.”
However, if you exceed the budgeted amount, you could end up owing money at the end of the current year or your fixed payment will increase next year. In some cases, a utility company may make an adjustment during the year, if useage is greatly exceeding the estimated …
A net worth statement, sometimes called a financial statement, measures wealth or how much we are worth – at one point in time.
What are your assets? Assets include cash and other items of value that can be converted to cash. Some assets are more difficult than others to convert to cash. Be careful not to overvalue personal belongings, such as televisions and furniture as these often lose value over time.
• How much do you have in cash or …
People respond to a personal crisis with many feelings: anger, anxiety, outrage, self doubt. They may be hostile – lashing out at those closest to them. Or, they may become moody and depressed. Their tension may show up as restlessness, loss of appetite, loss of interest in sex, insomnia, and feelings of apathy and exhaustion. While some of these symptoms may be unpleasant, they are normal, predictable reactions of people experiencing a loss or critical change in their lives.…
A spending plan or budget is a plan for spending and saving family resources to meet identified goals.
What is the type of expense?
• Fixed expenses occur on a predetermined
schedule and are for a set amount (such as a car
payment or rent).
• Variable or flexible expenses usually occur on a
predetermined schedule, but may change in
amount (such as a cell phone or utility bill).
• Discretionary expenses are ones that are
totally up to you …