Image of passport


Lost in the U.S.: If your passport is lost or stolen in the United States, report the loss or theft immediately to the U.S. Department of State 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793)or nearest Passport Agency and to the local police. You can contact the State Department at:

U.S. Department of State
Passport Services
Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section
1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036
Telephone (any time, day or night): 202-955-0430

You can report your valid passport as lost or stolen using Form DS-64. Complete, sign and submit Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport to the address above.

Lost abroad: If your passport is lost abroad, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance. Phone numbers for U.S. embassies and consulates are also available in the Department of State’s Country Specific Information and Key Officers handbook. You will need to speak to the American Citizens Services unit of the Consular Section. If you are scheduled to leave the foreign country shortly, please provide the Consular Section with details regarding your departure schedule. Every effort will be made to assist you quickly. You will also be directed to where you can obtain the required passport photos. If you are notified by a relative or friend that their U.S. passport has been lost/stolen, you may wish to contact Overseas Citizens Services, (202) 647-5225 at the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C. providing as much information about possible about the person’s who needs passport services abroad. This will assist us in trying to verify the person’s previous passport, clearing the person’s name through the Department Passport Name Check System, and relaying this information to the U.S. embassy or consulate. Your relative/friend must apply for a new passport at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Because a passport is a traveler’s principal means of identification abroad, its loss is very serious. To replace your passport, you must complete Form DS-11 (Application for Passport) and, if your passport had not expired, Form DS-64 (Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport). Bringing along a photocopy of your passport’s front page will make this crucial document easier to replace while traveling.

Return to List