If I Am Taking the Earned Income Tax Credit, Can I Also Claim the Child Tax Credit on My Income Taxes?

If you qualify for both credits, you can take both credits. You may also be able to claim the Child and Dependent Care Credit. Each of these tax credits has its own rules.

See IRS Publication 17 for general information on filing your taxes, Publication 596 for the Earned Income Tax Credit, Publication 972 for the Child Tax Credit, and Publication 503 for Child and Dependent Care Credit for information on who can deduct each type of credit. To receive free copies of IRS forms and publications, call the IRS Forms Distribution Center at 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676), or visit http://www.irs.gov.

We would like your feedback on this Personal Finance Frequently Asked Question.