Do I have to pay capital gain taxes on my required minimum distribution (RMD)?

To calculate your RMD, divide the amount of money held in your tax-deferred account(s) at year end by the number of years left in the account owner’s life expectancy and take out at least that amount. The amount of your RMD withdrawal is then added to your other taxable income for the year and taxed according to your marginal tax rate. Thus, the whole amount of a distribution or withdrawal from an IRA, 401(k), 403(b), or other tax-deferred retirement savings account is taxed as ordinary income and not capital gains.

For a chart that shows the RMD divisor for various ages, see

We would like your feedback on this Personal Finance Frequently Asked Question.