How does the “still working exception” for RMDs (required minimum distributions) apply to 403(b) plans for retired teachers who work occasionally as substitute teachers?

“Still working” means you have not retired from the position in which you were covered by the 403(b) plan. If you retire from a teaching position and continue to work for the school as an occasional substitute teacher, you are no longer contributing to the 403(b) plan, and thus you are considered retired.

Check with your retirement plan administrator to be sure but, if you have signed official retirement papers and are collecting a retirement pension, you are probably considered …

What can new parents do if they have not yet received the Social Security number for their newborn child? Should we reapply?

Hospitals routinely provide the paperwork necessary to get a Social Security number issued to a newborn. Do not reapply unless you have first determined that the Social Security Administration needs you to do so.

To check on the status of the issuance of the baby’s Social Security number, you should contact your local Social Security office by searching on or by calling the national hotline at 1-800-772-1213.

If the Social Security Administration requires you to refile and instructs you …

How long should you keep monthly utility bills such as gas, electricity, water, etc. for your home?

Many people like to keep their utility expense records for a year in case there are any problems with a utility company crediting their payment and to use to make comparisons between the current year’s utility costs and the previous year’s.

If you want even more of an historical record of your utility expenses, say the last two to 10 years, you could set up a spreadsheet in a computer software program and record the monthly cost and usage of …